Friday, July 17, 2009

HOUSEHOLD CONTINUED

Today I would like to talk about husbands. Now if you are single, please don't tune me out because I said the "h" word. Yes, I am aware that many of you may not have a husband, for a variety of reasons. Just think of this as training (Titus 2), we are after all the bride of Christ who must ready herself for her "Groom" (Rev. 19:7)
1. Read Ephesians 5:33 and write down what a wife is called to do.
Respect, I am to respect my husband.
2. If you respect someone how do you treat them? List some ways you treat those you respect.
When I respect someone, I speak well of them. I don't run them down to their face or behind their backs. I value them and I let them know that. When my husband and I were first married, I told him on more than one occasion that I did not need him - I chose to let him stay with me. Yep, I said it. By God's grace, he stayed anyway! (He claims to not even remember- his mind has been renewed!) Have I been guilty of saying too much to a girlfriend about my marriage- yes I have. Have I said things to my husband that I wished instantly I could take back - yes I have. Have I not submitted to his will for our family and done what I wanted to do? You betcha. Do I regret those choices- Yes.
From this day forward I can be intentional when I speak to my husband. I can choose to speak praise and value to him. I can choose to vent my frustrations to the Lord God. I can choose to willingly submit to my husband's will for our family, trusting in God's provision and protection. Does this mean I never disagree with my husband? I do not think so. It does mean that I can be respectful, even in those disagreements. I can select a respectful place to disagree (from my own experience the church foyer not the best place). I can express my concerns with honor and then trust God to lead and protect.
Now I would think that 2 questions would arise:
1. What if I don't have a husband?
2. What if my husband is an unbeliever?
I realize that you may not have a husband. So what can you do? Practice respect on the men who do have authority in your life. How do you speak about your father, your pastor, your boss? Do you do so with respect and honor? Do you disagree and express your opinion with respect?
If your husband is not a believer, may I direct you to 1 Peter 3:12. Go ahead and look that up.
Restate it in your own words and write it down.
Continue to model reverence and respect to him and for him. He will wonder what causes you to do that - your answer - JESUS!
Now again, if you are in a dangerous relationship please seek help immediately. Whether it is police help, solid biblical counseling and/or removing your self from the situation, please do it and follow up.
Close out today by writing a few words of praise about your husband. No husband- write down a few words of praise for your Lord, Jesus Christ.
Have a great weekend and I will met up with you again on Monday:o)

No comments: