Thursday, August 5, 2010

HOGWASH...

is what it is. Before I ever start, let me warn you now I have a burr under my saddle. A big one. It has hit a nerve and I am fired up. That was your disclaimer.

Complete and utter hogwash. There is a trend moving within the church body (at least in this nation) that ticks me off like nobody's business on one hand and scares the fire out of me on the other. The belief that the Bible is not the complete Word of God. The argument that the Old Testament stories are just that...stories. Used by writers to invoke emotion about a deity, but with no real validity.
Adam and Eve just a parable.
Jonah impossible.
Jericho - no way.
It is a movement that has crossed into main stream denominational churches and seminaries alike, and it is wrong. Someone help us when we have pastors with their very fancy doctorates and seminary papers telling us from the pulpit that they do not believe that Bible is the absolute Word of God.
Excuse me?
When we have megachurches and minichurches alike full of people listening to men and women who argue the Old Testament is figurative more then literal.
Are you kidding me?

Let me tell you something right now, if you can't believe the "in the beginning" then you have nothing to cling to in the end.

I can not even wrap my head around how someone could believe in God raising Christ Jesus from the dead (which is a, if not the, chief tenant of Christianity) and yet finds it impossible for the very same God to put a man inside a whale. Or knock down a wall. Or make a aged woman have a baby.
Which is harder?

What is even worse is we are buying it. Hook. Line. Sinker.
Which is exactly what we are doing.
Sinking.
Into our collective pews. We open our mouths and we believe everything that man or woman behind the pulpit says. We read our scriptures from the screen. We listen without ever checking the scriptures out for ourselves. We take no notes. We ask no questions. We give away ownership of our faith piece by piece, little by little. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe for one second that we are to sit in our pews and challenge every word our pastors or bible teachers say. There will be issues that we do disagree with them on. Do they all merit beating down his or her door Monday morning? Most likely not. However, there are some that should be deal breakers for us. The validity of the Bible better be the first.

Here is the deal. God is either a liar or He is not. (He is not, Titus 1:2; Num. 23:19).

He can not lie in the Old Testament and then be truthful in the New. It is either all true, or it is all a lie. No in-between. You can not pick and choose the parts you want to believe in. It either happened as God said it did, or it didn't. Now I know the arguments. Well, the bible was written by man....there are so many different translations....we did not really know what all the words really meant. There is legalism out there that says I must keep the Jewish laws of the Old Testament. There are those who will say I am in the wrong writing this because I have usurped my role within the body and spoken out of turn according to the New Testament. Most likely the word hypocrite will come to mind, if not to the comments. Which is fine. Absolutely fine. Why? Because my faith does not depend on what the comments section says.

Here is what I know. Here is what I have lived. When it comes down to it. When the rubber meets the road. When I am in my darkest of darks, the Word of God is the ONLY light that can defeat it. It comes down to me and that Bible. It is those words that are my sword. It is those words that speak to my soul and encourage me. Those writings that have even allowed me to know how to be saved, actual salvation, and to share that with others, and if I don't have confidence in it, all of it, I am done for. Finished. My pastor can not help and my favorite bible teacher is useless in those times. No feel good message is going to cut it. I need to know the word, believe the word, and act upon the word.

I beseech you brothers and sisters in Christ, please, please, do not think for one second that the Bible is just a story book. Please do not diminish the sacrifice that Jesus made for us (whether you accept it or not) by saying it is only to invoke emotion. Use discernment. Study. Research. Learn.
Above all BELIEVE. Have faith in the God who wrote it. Exercise faith in the Christ who died for it. Stand up and stop sinking.

O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge- by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen.
1 Timothy 6:20-21 (NKJV)

5 comments:

The Truth About Me and You said...

AMEN
Enough said.
It's a shame that our pastors, churches and church members have come to this point.

nina said...

Amen!! Just glad that is what you wrote!!! When I read the first paragraph, I thought oh dear!!! Good Word, daughter (in-law)!!!!

sueonthefarm said...

Double Amen! Do we believe God or not? When the Bible says it is the inspired Word of God and not to be tampered with, I believe it! He has proven Himself to me over and over (not that He had to.)Good job!

Rebecca said...

Amen!! and i echo the previous comments - good job!!! my hubby and i had this discussion a few days ago, not on opposing sides per say, and like i told him, if you are going to discredit part of it you discredit all of it - and it is all CREDIBLE!!!! God's Word is TRUTH!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it was honestly encouraging reading this post. I haven't gone to a church in a long time I honestly didn't realize it is coming to this point of pastors teaching that the old testament is just a make believe story. Unbelievable. I mean when I stopped going to the mega church my family and I went to they stopped reading scripture so I guess it shouldn't be a suprise that it is coming to this now. Its sad that pastors are being taught all this junk in schools today. Do you think their was a reason that Paul counted all the "schooling" he had (which was a lot; he was perfect according to the law) he counted it "dung" to the surpassing riches of knowing Christ. What does that show you? Schools and degrees don't put you on a fast track of knowing Christ, obeying and following the scriptures do, and unfortunately there are a lot of churches that don't even read the bible anymore and its sad.
Keep on going Rhonda.
Great post.