Friday, August 28, 2009

ALONE WITH THE FATHER DAY 2

I hope you had yourself a good long time out yesterday. If not, try again today! Today we are going to look at the second time Christ takes a retreat.

1. Please read either Mark 14:32-42 or Matthew 26:36-46.
Summarize what is about to happen in your notes.

Christ has just finished the Last Supper with His disciples. He and Peter had gone through the whole denial bit. Jesus knew what was coming. He most definitely noticed when Judas left the table (John 13:30). He knew the end was near and things were going to get tough.
Did He stay in the company of His friends?
No.
He went to be alone with God.
I can think of a couple of times in my life when I have made that choice to physically isolate myself. To just be alone before the Father with literally no one else around. Before we had our oldest son, I miscarried a pregnancy. I remember telling my husband when I left the doctor's office I wanted to go to the church. I sat in the sanctuary all by myself. No one else around and just cried. I wanted to be alone with my Dad. Now, even with people around, I can be alone with the Father. This alone is different. This alone is gut wrenching, where you lay it all out. You don't care what people think or say, because no one is around to think or say.
When was a time you had an alone time like that?
Are you in need of one now?
Do you need to have yourself a good cry - a gut wrenching, cleansing cry?
Those tears are cleansing. Don't keep them bottled up.
Maybe you don't need to cry. Maybe you just need to withdraw from all the "good" you are doing and sit before the Good.
Perhaps you need to withdraw because you know the road ahead is going to be tough. Maybe you don't know the road at all, and that is the tough part.
Try to find time today to sit alone, not only before but with, the Lord Jesus. Sit with Him, fellowship with Him, talk with Him. He is waiting for you. He is longing to be with you. He will meet you where you are.
Have a blessed day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my most intimate moments with the Lord have been in my car. I pretend that He is sitting in the passenger's seat. I can be on my way to work, on I-20 heading towards to Dallas (which by the way is often), or on my way home from work. During those times, I will open up and share with Him everything that's going on in my life. Sometimes, I will let the tears fall and not say a word becasue I know he already knows what's going on. I thank the Lord that He loves me unconditionally.
Viv Marie

Rhonda said...

Amen Viv Marie Amen!