Monday, February 8, 2010

DAY 35 - A Call to Grace

Thought I had forgotten about you didn't you? Nope. Nor have I forgotten about 2 Peter. And I am finishing my grace book. Lots of stuff rolling around. So today we are gong to talk about day 35 of A Call to Grace.
This day is entitled Masterpiece. The entire book is referencing Ephesians 2:1-10. The passage focused on this day is,
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus..."
Nasser takes this day to discuss that you and I are masterpieces in the eyes of God. The two things that make us these exquisite works of art in the eyes of the Creator of the universe are:
first, the fact that we were created by the Master, and second, we are authentic works of art.
Nasser makes the point that we as Christians are all created to be different (authentic) yet we were all created by the same Person (Master), and thus bear the same signature.
That last bit to me is wonderfully freeing. We are all created to be different. To be our authentic selves. With authentic gifts, authentic talents, authentic roles to play in the advancement of the Kingdom. We are not supposed to be carbon copies of the hippest worship leader, or newest teacher, or the most grace filled lady we know at church. We are to be us - authentic us. The only one we carbon copy is Christ Jesus. Even in doing that, we would still be authentic. My church doesn't have to be like the church down the street and vice-versa. It is okay that we are different.
But in that difference some things are the same. One thing is the same for us all... Jesus Christ. We can disagree about a lot of things, but Jesus is not one of them. And that is freeing as well. Because when I get with people who are different, I can find the one common thing, Jesus. On Him I can focus. Him I can point to and draw from.
So in the freeing of being an authentic creation, there is also something unifying in being made by the same Person.
So many times we focus on striving to be authentic, we neglect the unifying factor. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the King of Kings, the Sacrificial Lamb, who sits at the right hand of God for you and for me.
What a masterpiece!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

amen - what a beautiful reminder of who we are in Christ! thanks