The young whippersnapper we call Pastor Todd said something last Sunday that, well, I just didn't like. Not one bit. Not to take it out of context, or argue prosperity, he basically said that for some of us, financially this is a good as it is going to get. Some of us may very well be called to live by faith our entire lives. (FYI, you can listen to the sermon to get the full picture).
I can't say I disagree with him, but I can't say I liked his answer right then.
I thought on it all day Sunday and pretty much everyday this week. The questions that kept coming back to my spirit were:
What if he is right?
Will that be enough?
Will I be satisfied?
All questions that go right along with my memory verse for the past two weeks,
Proverbs 27:7
A satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb, but to a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.
What am I finding my satisfaction in? Is it food? If I am satisfied in Christ, then I won't need that brownie or third piece of pizza to "fill' me. If not? Then I go on one of those rampages where I want to eat everything, no matter how bitter it is. What about the other way? What if my satisfaction is in how small that scale number says? Am I willing to do anything, no matter how bitter, to get there? And what about that money? Is my satisfaction in having just a little bit more and am I willing to do the next thing to make more? Always looking for that next big opportunity. Or am I satisfied with what I have and commit to using it to the glory of God?
I didn't like what he said because it hurt. It did. It stung a bit. It caused me to look at my own heart and it wasn't pretty. I do tend to want more. I don't like having to worry about money. But there in lies the sin...the worry. When I give that area completely to Christ, the worry goes away. Sure it doesn't go away quietly, but it has to submit to Christ when placed before Him. When placed before Him.
For any area you want to apply this verse to, and I think I can safely say that is pretty much all of them, my satisfaction has to be in Christ. Satisfaction that comes from being confident in who He is, who I am in Him, submitting my all to Him and obeying. Following through with what He has called His followers , of which I do profess to be, to do.
Easy to do? Not always. It is a choice to say it is enough....food, money, fame, status....
It is a deliberate choice.
In that choice, though, comes a deliverance you will never get from any number on a scale or in a bank account.
And that is pretty sweet.
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgements of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also that the honey and the honeycomb.
Moreover by them your servant is warned,
And in keeping them is great reward.
Psalm 19:9-11 (NKJV)

1 comment:
oh man so true!!! it is amazing how one statement can just - bam! but in a good way, in a God way - taste and see that the Lord is good
Post a Comment