I have made no secret that I am struggling with this book. I struggle with grace. I think today Nasser hit the nail on the head with one of my reasons why.
"The fear is that a grace message this radical will give people license to sin." (p. 137)
I think this is what I thought. That if I extend grace, people will be allowed to sin, like I am giving them permission. They are punishment free. They are consequence free.
Oh I hope this makes sense.
Today as I was reading it hit me. Grace is not punishment free. The punishment has been dished out, and Jesus Christ took it. That is the grace part. He took the punishment for me. Grace is not consequence free. Those still have to be dealt with. But in grace I can say, and it has been said to me, "Yep. You messed up, and there will be consequences. Those we will have to deal with. But I still love you, that hasn't changed."
I think I saw God as a punishment God. When things were going wrong, I was being punished from some sin. So I had to strive to be good, to follow all the rules, in order to avoid the punishment. Knowing in my head that the price for my sin had already been paid but not having a full understanding of it in my heart. I think we have broken through that today. God is not out to dish out punishment every time I fall. If I am in Christ Jesus, the punishment for that has already been handled. He does allow the consequences to come so I can learn. So I have the chance for remorse which will lead to repentance.
The flip side is that if I am not in Christ Jesus, if I don't know Him as Lord and Savior, then the punishment will come. If I am not a part of Him, then the punishment He suffered has no value for me. How that should break my heart for those that don't know Him. How I should be burning to share with them what He has done for me.
I am not done with this page so I am sure I will have more. I am meditating on it and asking the Lord questions.
I think we have a crack in the wall though, and I think I see the smallest of light rays invading the darkness.
Shine Jesus Shine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Praise the Lord!! and i am printing this out for me - because i need it - in a bad kind of way - interesting, pastor's sermon was on grace
Post a Comment