Hubs and I were having an *ahem* discussion about "place", mostly mine, and operating within it. More specifically, defining it's boundaries.
You know...
It's not your place to say
You spoke out of place
What place is it of yours to tell me blah blah blah
So here is the question for you (and oh how I hope you answer) :
What is our place?
I talked about calling out blatant, unrepentant sin the other day.
That is all our place in my opinion.
But what about things that are just tweeks? Things we see others doing that are damaging to the body that they may not even recognize are hurting anyone.
That woman or young girl at church whose skirt is repeatedly just a little too short or shirt just a little to sheer.
The young man who repeatedly is demonstrative in his play for girls or in his attempt to exercise his dominance over other guys.
That teenager who is popping off at their parents in front of everyone.
The mom who loses it on her kids A LOT.
What about people you know well who are acting out of emotion and the result is hurting others?
What about that group of women or men who went out for a night and things got a bit, just a bit, carried away?
That wife who belittles her husband at bible study. Or on the phone?
The husband who bad mouths his wife in front of others.
Where is your place to speak to those issues?
Is relationship the determining factor?
Does it matter how well you know them?
Or do you have a place as a woman and man of God to address it regardless of how well you know them?
So we don't spend time arguing over this point, yes the how matters.
Absolutely.
In truth and in LOVE.
You don't do it with either of these you are acting out side the bounds of your place.
So lets pretend we are all mature enough we can do address the issue with both of those.
Where is the line that you are not allowed to cross?
I would love to hear from you minister wives, as I am sure you have had your fair share in dealing with this.
Looking forward to the insight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have a feeling a lot of this post is hot on the heels of "Breaking Free," which I haven't done, so I'm missing some context. I think about the verse that admonishes me not to worry about the sand in someone else's eye when I have a plank in my own, and that slows me down and gives me pause when I'm wondering how and when to address someone else's sin. I think the only way to know how and when to address folks - or if I should do so at all - is to pray for them, then pray for me. I usually find the situation changes or my perspective of it does, before I have a chance to say anything.
No Breaking Free in this one....at least not intentionally. To my recollection, she does not touch on it. More from a wife/husband *discussion*. Thanks for the insight.
Yeah - I am going with the prayer on this one. I don't think there is a cookie-cutter answer - one that works for every situation. I think you have to pray over it, a LOT, and let the Holy Spirit be your guide. some days He may tell you to talk to the mom you barely know about how she talks to her kids, some days He may not. some days He may tell you to talk to the teenager about what she wears onstage to help lead worship, some days He may not. I think we have to be so engrossed in prayer on this issue because it is so touchy. People are touchy - some people take things better from perfect strangers and some from family. He has to be our guide. So, to say, "that's not your place", is really only for the Holy Spirit - it's not anyone else's place :)
Post a Comment