Thursday, December 31, 2009

1 Peter 2

Hope you are fabulous this New Year's Eve! Grateful for 2009, excited for 2010.
Here are my thoughts on chapter 2. Again we see the word "living". May we never, may I never, forget my God is alive! Jesus is alive. We are "chosen". Not because we are good, as my A Call to Grace book points out so well, we were sinners before we ever sinned. Not because we are weak and God likes to let us get beat up so we have to come to Him. He chose us because He loves us. He knows we are weak and He knows that in that weakness, if we allow Him, His strength can makes us strong. He will be glorified and honored. Lastly, and this was a tough one, honoring your bosses. Even the not nice ones. I am not talking about the ones who threaten you physically and emotionally. I mean the ones who are just rude jerks. Or insensitive. Or proud and take credit and quickly push blame. Not that we sit quietly and let them do whatever, but even in the disagreement we can honor them for the position they hold. I have failed at this many times. I am a right fighter.... for my rights or what I deem to be right or for someone else's rights...especially students. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of individual responsibility for learning. I think we do kids, especially high school kids, a HUGE disservice when we coddle them and baby them instead of holding them responsible for their actions, but I also believe in equality of opportunity. They should all be given the same chance. If the commit the same offense, they should receive the same punishment. Consistency in expectations and in discipline. One of my favorite lines form Remember the Titans is when the white coach is asking Denzel to back of the kids and Denzel replies something like " I may be a mean old cuss, but I am the same mean old cuss to each and every one of them." Yes please. Anyway, I have had bosses over the years I have disagreed with strongly and I did not always disagree with honor. At times I bad mouthed, I argued publicly, I sinned. So obviously I need to work on that one (even for my boss at the house).
Whew that turned into a mini soapbox.
Hope you have a safe New Year.
May Lord be gracious to you in 2010.
May He show Himself strong on your behalf and may you be drawn and wooed into a closer relationship with Jesus.
He loves you so. So do I.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

hey - this sort of relates - it hit me yesterday that in God's Word when He tells me to respect my husband, that does not mean that I show respect only to him and when he is around, I am to respect him, ALL THE TIME, whether he is present or not - i know that is elementary , but it hit me fresh