Hi there. Remember me? I finally have some thoughts on chapter 1. My sister gave me a MacArthur Bible Commentary for Christmas and I whipped it out for this chapter. Of course, I only got up to the "Background and Setting" portion of the introduction, so none of this comes from that. I did find it interesting that according to the MBC, Peter's wife ministered with him AND (according to tradition) he had to watch her be crucified. Just some trivia.
1. Verse 3 talks about our "living hope". Just another reminder that my God, my Savior, my Comforter are all alive. Living, breathing, full of life. Full of emotion for me and for you. Attentive to my every moment, my every prayer, my every concern. In the words of the song, "He's alive! He's alive! He is risen from the dead and He's alive!"
2. Verse 5 - I am protected by the power of God through faith. The scripture in the NKJV says "kept" and then translates that into protected. Like a military guard. Armed and ready to protect me.
3. Verse 6- My redemption was not cheap. MY REDEMPTION WAS NOT CHEAP. Christ's death was the greatest price that could have been paid. Flip it around, in the eyes of God, I was worth the price. That is how much He values me, He values you, and He values this world. Regardless of what the world tries to tell you and me, we are not worthless. We are not of no value. We are worth the very blood of the One True Son of God. Every drop. Every lashing. Every mocking. Not because we are worthy, but because He deemed us worthy. His grace deemed us worthy.
I am still walking through "A Call to Grace". I should say working through because apparently grace is a tough one for me. I am not even really sure what part of it is hard for me, but we are walking and working it out together.
Hope you had a blessed Christmas.
Get those Bibles out and let's talk about Peter. More importantly, let's talk about Jesus Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment