Wednesday, December 16, 2009

ASKING

I am going to stay on James 4 today. #1 from yesterday is still rolling around in my head. There have been things that I have asked for that I have not gotten. Now I know God knows all and there are things I ask for that would only hurt me. However, this phrase has me wondering if I have been asking for the wrong reasons. Searching my heart for the motivations as to why I was asking. Pride? Selfishness? Flesh serving reasons that I had hoped I had grown out of. Take money for instance. Like so many of you, times are tight. Partly due to my decision to stay home, partly due to factors out of my control. I have prayed and asked God for wisdom, for doors to be opened and closed, and honestly for money. Not so we can live lavishly, but so we can have some breathing room. Is that wrong? Is that selfish? Does it say more about me than I want it to? Or am I simply in a disciplining period where He is growing and maturing me. Maybe it is not even me. Maybe it is my kids getting used to the word "no" or maybe He is maturing my husband and we are along for the ride. Maybe they are going along this ride for me. I am not sure, but I am asking Him today. To reveal any wrong motives in me so that when I ask I may receive.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

and that prayer is not in 'amiss' - He will show up - He always does - and I think that examining our heart and our motives is a great place to start in our prayer lives - this morning, I was just trying to stay awake :) long night last night